Sunday, July 25, 2010

Keeping Awake

It seems a shame to sleep;
to waste all this lovely silence.
Hours and hours I have
all to myself,
while the blessings
and burdens of daylight
are tucked sweetly away
and the naked night,
Precious and peculiar,
stretches out like a sea of onyx.

It is not insomnia
but stubborn indulgence
that keeps my lamp ablaze.
I will have this time,
Though my eyes burn
and my shoulders ache.
By rights it is mine
And it will serve me
And I will use it up,
Filling it with silence of my own.

Hush, pillow, I'll get to you
when I'm ready.
Leave off, dreaming, wait your turn.
The quiet isn't finished yet.

(C) 2010 Tasha Chinnock

3 comments:

Muhammad Faizan said...

Beautiful as usual! :)

Unknown said...

Wow, thank you!

Angela said...

Tasha this is so beautiful! You read my heart. Night is so hard for me to go to bed while TJ is gone, and this is just how I feel! I miss you!