Thursday, October 05, 2006

My Fortress

My Fortress
for Ardara

In my sadness
your song is
a lullaby of love
never sung before
heard only by me
just for this instance
trilling and lilting
like celestial melodies,
an ethereal sonance.

I am pained
and your fingers are
delicate wands,
softing away my heartaches,
smoothing me
with reassuring care,
combing my hair
and tickling my arms
with five years' favor.

Your tenderness relieves me.
Your sweet words console me.
The smell of your hair
and your perfect young skin
renew me like morning mallow.

I prayed to be
compassed about by angels
and you arrived,
flawless as a new peach,
mild and winsome,
pearl of my being,
bearing azure windows to heaven
and silken filament of softest gold.
Your precious coming
answered my supplication.
I am graced anew with every gentle breath
exhaled through your tiny teeth
as you bestow a new smile,
a laugh or a kiss
to your likeness in me.

(c) Tasha Chinnock 2006

No comments: